About 10 weeks ago, I told myself that I wanted to start running. It doesn't require a gym membership, it has so many different benefits and the list goes on. Instead of just going at it cold turkey, I started to research.. a lot. One that kept popping out to me was Couch to 5k or C25k. I picked a day and started. Intervals were difficult but not something I felt I could not do. That week I went and purchased a $100 pair of running shoes, no going back now! I learned how to stretch properly, and kept going. A lot of information I received was on the C25k facebook fan page; people there are so unbelievably encouraging. Inspiration in that page is abundant. Here I stand today, saying I completed a 5k this morning! My very first race. There were moments I honestly thought I was crazy through my training. There were days I was ecstatic at how running made me feel so empowered. The second week of running is when I decided to sign up for a 5k - even more motivation and a goal to work towards.
Matthew and Riley joined me at the Town of Cary 5k race this morning. The venue was awesome; providing trained professionals assisting in stretching you, free bread from a local bread shop, Whole Foods who provided bananas and oranges. Water galore! My Mom and Dad joined us 15 minutes before the race was beginning and my Dad ran with me, which is just awesome! He kept me going and I held his pace for a long portion of it. He can run without training, and he's an old guy! (Okay not old.. but 50). If he hadn't stayed with me, he could have made the race at least 3 minutes quicker than what he did.
When we started the race, it took me a second to get my breath and get in sync with the crowd. The first one was a hill.. a big long hill. I walked for maybe 30 feet and got back in at a slower pace to accommodate this huge hill (that my treadmill does not challenge me with!). After that, it was great! I picked up speed on the way back down the hill and then the race looped us around a big lake. So pretty! I did walk for 10 seconds a total of three times. Then the FINISH line!!! I love the feeling of crossing the finish line. :) As I was running up to the timer and the finish line, I realized it said 35 minutes and 53 seconds.. I thought 'OH SHIT' I need to get this in 36 minutes so I sprinted to that finish line! I made this 5k in under 36 minutes. This is a huge huge huge proud moment! I swear to you, I was concerned I was going to get it done in 45 minutes or less so 36 minutes was a huge surprise!
I'm signing up for my next race which is next month, wahoo! If I can do it, you can do it.. I promise! I've shared a couple of photos from my iPhone but Matthew has most of the pictures. :) He got a great one of myself and my Dad.. and one of me running. Let me tell you, I am NOT a pretty runner but I love it just the same!!
No comments:
Post a Comment